Code of Conduct
Athletes do their best when they are in peak physical condition. It should be considered an honor and a privilege to represent Oneonta City School District on an interscholastic sports team and thus, by accepting this honor, the athlete MUST accept the responsibilities which are expected from our student/ athletes. Athletes are to abide by all training rules set forth here, as well as, any additional rules, codes of conduct and behavior set forth by the coach, administration and school board.
1. Attendance at practice is essential to develop the greatest degree of skill and teamwork. All requests to be excused from practice sessions must be submitted to the coach 24 hours before the practice for which the request is made.
2. Athletes absent from school may not participate or play the day such absence occurs. Frequent excessive tardiness may result in the same penalty. Exceptions are only to be made by the school Principal or his designee.
3. Each coach may specify a definite rest program and hours when team members must be in their homes. Any adjustments must be approved by the coach of the sport.
4. Athletes must abide by all school rules as outlined in the student handbook.
Athletes are not to use, or possess, or be under the influence of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, or tobacco since they are considered health hazards and detrimental to an athlete’s physical and mental well-being. Athletes are not to attend a function or enter a place where illegal consumption or illegal possession; of drugs, alcohol or tobacco are taking place. (Example: bar, house party, field party)
• The athlete will be suspended from participation in athletic contests for a period of 5 (five) sports weeks.
• If the offense occurs with less than 5 weeks remaining in that current sport season, the suspension will carry over until the 5 weeks suspension has been completed.
• During the 5 sport weeks the athlete will attend practices and athletic contests but may not dress in uniform or participate in any contests.
• The athlete will forfeit any awards they may have received for that season
• The athlete will required to participate in and complete school provided counseling before being reinstated.
• The athlete will be suspended a time period of 365 days
• Forfeit any awards they may have received for that season
• The athlete will be required to participate in and complete a school provided counseling before being reinstated.