RESEARCH TIPS FOR STUDENTS & TEACHERS
STUDENT STEPS FOR EFFECTIVE RESEARCH:
- PLAN YOUR RESEARCH! Determine what information you will need to locate, and develop questions of your own which you want to answer
- CONDUCT YOUR RESEARCH! Be prepared to take accurate notes, be prepared to paraphrase, and be prepared to use multiple resources (Internet database/website, encyclopedia articles, non-fiction books)
- ORGANIZE YOUR RESEARCH! Before you can begin the writing process, be prepared to organize your notes and research into an outline: beginning /middle/end OR introduction/body/conclusion
- EDIT YOUR FINAL PROJECT! Edit your writing for spelling, grammar, and content
TEACHER STEPS FOR EFFECTIVE CLASS RESEARCH:
- Decide upon a topic you know your students will be able to find age-appropriate information about
- Decide in advance upon the specific resources you want your students to use, ideally a RESEARCH CENTERS plan: small, student groups rotating through 1) databases/websites, 2) non-fiction books, and 3) encyclopedia articles
- Decide upon the specific information you want them to gather, and employ the use of a graphic organizer. Do you want them to include an Essential Question?
- Decide how you want your students to share/present their research when done - poster? Report? Video? Technology project?
Click on the "SEEK" link below to access a wide variety of educational databases, provided to Oneonta City School District students by the ONC BOCES and the OCSD. When you click on the FIRST database of your choice, you will be asked to provide a OCSD-provided username & password; further visits at that time to other databases will require NO passwords! If you need help, please contact the Valleyview Library Media Specialist!