New York State Education Law Section 409-H and State Education Department Commissioner’s Regulation 155.24, effective July 1, 2001, require all public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty, and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year.
The Oneonta City School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notice of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- Anti-microbial products
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Silica gel and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate
- The application of EPA-designated biopesticides
- The application of EPA-designated exempt materials under 40 CFR § 152.25
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets
In addition, there will be no written notice of such application when a school remains
unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good-faith effort will be made to supply notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
If you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in your school, please complete the Pesticide Application Notification application below, and return to Thomas Brindley – Assistant Superintendent of Schools at: 31 Center Street, Oneonta, NY 13820 (607) 433-8200, TBrindley@oneontacsd.org.